Old 27-09-2006, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
BG BG is offline

Default poor corn harvest -- some ideas?

I try for plants 10-12 inches apart and 36 inch rows. I like
even a tad wider rows sometimes (40 inches) so eventual
weeding and watering is easier. Usually I plant at least 4
rows maybe 30 feet long.

*** I am in Zone 6 and we do not get much wind as I am on the protected
(from wind) side of a hill, How do the plants pollinate if so far
apart?, 10 -12 inches between the plants, they *might* touch leaf
tips... Doesn't the pollen need to fall between the leaves and stalk
to form the ear of corn ? How many ears per plant do you get , I had
3 - 5 per plant, they were just small and hardly kerneled at all!

Corn is a heavier feeder and anything too close together
runs the risk of becoming stunted.

My plants reached the target height... does stunted refer to another
factor of the plant? More leaved perhaps? Is color of the plant an
indicator, it was medium / dark green...
Grasping at straws , this is the 2nd year growing corn , last year was
worse, the plants were midgets and the ears of corn were not present !
So, I am improving, but the worry over these plants is too much ! haha,
I thought corn was one of those grow it an forget about it crops!
Sheesh!

Thanks for any help!
BG
Zone 6