Old 26-09-2006, 09:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
The Real Bev The Real Bev is offline

Default Do you waste food?

Karen Newton wrote:

Maybe you should get a juicer.

Or plant fewer plants next year. Or share with friends/ neighbors/
cow-orkers.

The cherry tomato plants I planted from seed in spring 2005 are still
bearing -- they lasted all winter. In case anybody cares, the orange
variety is sweeter than the red variety. Didn't get enough of the
yellow ones to tell.

I'm currently harvesting my basil seed. Next year I'm going to sow the
seed thickly in wallpaper trays and cut chunks of sod+seedlings to
transplant into DEEP pots. Based on this year's performance, basil
doesn't mind being crowded but loves being able to send its roots deep.
I'm also going to space the plantings out in order to get good leaves
over a longer period of time.

We'll get 'em next year.

James wrote:
I have 20 tomatoe plants. I've noticed that I just toss a lot of
tomatoes that can really be used for soup or stew. Guess if I only had
one plant I would salvage blems by cutting out the bad parts. However
I'm just letting produce rot if it has a little blem or if it's a
little pass prime. Well it's not total waste since it just get
recycled in the soil. It's not like stuff being tossed by businesses
that end up in a landfill.

--
Ch rs,
B v