Old 27-09-2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default my garden

"Kats'n Us" wrote in message
ups.com...

Just a funny story... sometimes things disappear around our
neighborhood. We had a couple wheelbarrows stolen, the neighbor had a
weedeater stolen, things that kids or people on drugs can get money
for. Well, my husband decided to get back at them. His Dad had given
him a mower to throw away. No way to repair this mower. My husband
decide to see how long it would take for this mower to walk away. So he
sat it out by the street and waited. A week went by. We had a neighbor
that watch this kid come down the street on a bike and go by our house
several times. Then he came running down the street, grabbed the mower
and disappeared. Next thing she saw was him coming down the street on
his bike with a gas can! We got a chuckle. My husband did it again
with a worthless chainsaw. That took 2 weeks. We decided to hold of on
any other items just in case someone would catch on and would decide to
return the favor.

The thing that amazes me is the neighbors with the junk design yards
never get anything stolen.

Sue

We've had the same problem with theft. The response from the cops reminds me
of a Far Side cartoon. Scene: A clock repairman is collapsed on his
workbench, dead. Not only has he been shot, but every clock in the place has
been hit, too, so they're all stopped, showing the same time. Three cops.
One is saying "Well, we know how he was killed. Now, we just need to
determine when all this happened".

Three times in a month, thefts here have happened after residents called 911
to report kids on bikes between midnight and 3:00 AM. I spotted them last
week and called the cops. It's one of those neighborhoods whose streets are
all dead ends and cul-de-sacs. There are only 2 ways out. No guarantee that
the cops could find these kids, but easier than other neighborhoods. What
does the cop do? Stops at my house FIRST to ask me what the kids look like!
I explained that because of three previous thefts, ANY kid on a bike at this
time of night should be questioned because it's a friggin pattern. He says
he needs a description. I said that because my neighbors have too damned
many lights on, everything's a silhouette, but the APPEARED to be non-white
kids. The cops asks "Were they black, or Hispanic?" Excuse me?????? Go find
anyone on a bike and have a chat with them! Based on the last 3 thefts,
they're carrying other peoples' garage door openers, stolen from cars.

I'm waiting for a call back from the police chief. Grrrrr.....