Old 27-09-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
HealingMindN HealingMindN is offline

Default growth stunted plants

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So, in other words, you're throwing additives at the plants with absolutely
no idea whether they're necessary or even harmful. Sorry to be blunt about
this, but "rough & tumble" is the precise equivalent of "I don't care if
they die". Go to google. Search for the words "cooperative extension" along
with the name of your state. Go to the web site, find the phone number for
the closest location, call and ask how they want soil samples packaged, and
let them test samples from 2-3 locations. They'll do it cheap. It's their
job. Tell them what you're trying to grow.

Actually, I did look up on the web to try and find what they like. For
instance, I found that crepe myrtle likes blood meal for the nitrogen.

I guess "rough and tumble" has different connotations for different
people, I mean I don't treat them with all TLC, but thanks for the
suggestion on the state coop ext.

The hardware stores have a long metal tool wherein you attach your
garden hose and it sucks air a la venturi, so you can insert the end
into the ground to aerate the roots.

Whoever told you to do this.....set their hair on fire and push them into
busy traffic.

Why do you say that? Please elaborate. Why would anyone put a tool on
the market that's bad for plants? I've used the aeration tool on other
trees and I believe they are very healthy because of it.