Old 27-09-2006, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy Davy is offline

Default levelling garden

Steve,

yes I have just used a mini-digger to put poor clay soil from an excavation
onto a 300 sq m area for lawn.

I did it in August so the soil was dry and easily friable. I made three
surveyors bones so I could get the lawn area level to within 10 mm all over.
I mixed the poor soil 50:50 with rotted organic matter. You could spread the
organic matter and some sharp sand over the surface and then rotavate it in.
I then dragged a ladder using a long rope tied to each end over the area to
level it to within 5mm all over. Sowed grass 1st Sept and it is coming up
very well.

I suspect if your soil is clay then it may be already to late in the year to
work on. You might have to wait till late Spring.
Another option is to spread at least 50mm sharp sand over the whole area; it
is very easy to level that with a ladder no matter what weather, then put
down turves.

cheers, Davy

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a part of the garden I have built up to another level using the
soil from excavation for a house extension. During the summer it was
too dry and hard to level, now its getting wetter i am considering how
to get a finer level on it, its "mini digger" level at the mo, just
need to get it level for grassing it. What would be the best method, I
was thinking heavy duty rotovator and rake level.
Am I on the right track ? soil is very clay and tends to clump together