Old 27-09-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Composting Grass Cuttings ??

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

My mother has moved house and has a fairly large garden ( grass area
probably at least tennis court size). I have made her 3 wood compost
bins 1 metre square.

Question? I get 5-6 containers full of clippings from the mower, is
this too much to put in compost bin as balance of compost material
from kitchen & garden is much less. I am hoping to utilise the
clippings without having to take them to council waste site, if
possible

Miles too much. It will just get hot and smell terrible. You can leave the
grass in the open and it will dry out, you can burn it then (if you must).

The best way to get rid of grass cuttings is to mow often (don't let it

get
too long) and leave it on the lawn. I know this works, but I bet loads of
people argue!

It's also quicker in the long run because you take the grass box off. I've
done this for years with no ill-effects and it also stops the lawn

"burning"
when it's freshly cut.

rubbish, it is not too much at all to use in a compost bin. I get near that
from a regular mow in growing season. You are spot on about it going putrid
if left however. This simply means the composter needs to mix carbon in
sufficient quantities with the grass clippings in the form of leaves,
shredded paper, hay, straw or saw dust. I mixed a load of saw dust in with a
weekend mow of 4+ bags worth of grass.

rob