Old 27-09-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Composting Grass Cuttings ??

covehithe writes
My mother has moved house and has a fairly large garden ( grass area
probably at least tennis court size). I have made her 3 wood compost
bins 1 metre square.

Question? I get 5-6 containers full of clippings from the mower, is
this too much to put in compost bin as balance of compost material from
kitchen & garden is much less. I am hoping to utilise the clippings
without having to take them to council waste site, if possible

Should be OK. Put it in layers of 6inches, with something else in
between - the something else can include paper and cardboard, ideally
shredded, crumpled or torn up, but even flat it will compost eventually.

Use two of your bins for filling, one for using - this spreads the grass
load. When you have emptied the bin you are using, take all the unrotted
stuff from the oldest of the other two bins and heave it into the empty
bin so once again you have two filling and one for use.
--
Kay