Old 27-09-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(in Normandy\) David \(in Normandy\) is offline

Default Asparagus question

This is the first time I've grown asparagus and don't know much about it
except that I'm not supposed to harvest it for the first two or three years
while it establishes.

Anyway, back in Spring I planted 10 crowns of dried asparagus roots in a
trench as per the instructions on the packet, 9 of which have taken leaving
an irritating gap in one place. However, I've just noticed that one of the
asparagus shoots has lots of pea size green spheres on it. Are these seeds?
If so can I grow one to fill the gap in the bed? How should such seeds be
planted and when? What should I do with the others - is there a danger of
them self-setting everywhere? Any advice welcome.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk