Old 28-09-2006, 01:27 AM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc
Frederick Burroughs Frederick Burroughs is offline

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hen of the Woods

Jack Schmidling wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:

Everyone needs to be aware that this one, although delicious, can
cause severe gastric upset in a small percentage of the population.

That's interesting because I have confirmed a very mild stomach cramping
several hours after eating lots of them.

I also quit eating Giant Puffballs because it was much worse than mild.
I got pretty miserable.

One of the general rules of mushroom consumption is to not overdo it.
Chitin, the main structural component of mushrooms (and the component of
insect exoskeletons), is indigestible by humans. A very large meal of
mushrooms might result in intestinal obstruction. Along with thorough
cooking, small portions are the rule.