Old 28-09-2006, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Backburner Backburner is offline

Default Why does my asian pear (20 century) bloom in september?

Hi!

Sounds like your tree was shocked into blooming. A guess, but perhaps
the nursery received the tree from a third party in a cooler climate or
did not take good care of the tree while it was in their nursery yard?
Near to me here in Maryland is a stand of wild pear which are now
blooming. They were probably shocked by the heat and drought which
only broke recently. Some spring blooming magnolias aound here also
will bloom out of season because of stress.

Likely the your pear fruit will not make it over the winter. In fact
it might be a good idea to pull those fruits in order to keep the tree
from expending energy on producing fruit rather than going into
seasonal dormancy.

Hope this helps.

wrote:
I purchased an asian pear (20 century) from my local nursery here in
Dallas, TX
area two months ago. I noticed the tree started blooming around early
september,
now (late september) I have observed several little fruits on the tree.
How this happens?
According to the folks at the nursery, plus other internet sources, all
asian pears
including 20-century suppose to start blooming in early sprint?

Now we are about 2 months away from winter, what would happen to those
fruits?
are they going to survive the cold weather?

Thanks in advance for your comments.