Old 28-09-2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree conundrum

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have an eight year old Russian Olive that has fallen over twice in
the past two years.
It literally ended up lying on the ground. It was lifted upright twice
as well.

The probable reason that it has fallen over is because its roots system
is very poor.
Ie. instead of growing vertically they have grown horizontally. This is
likely because there is a clay or hard deposit right below its roots.

I have a few stakes set up now and without them the tree would likely
fall over again in the coming weeks. I watched it today (very windy)
and the entire trunk, right down to the soil, was swaying. Its current
existence is definitely in jeopardy.

So I'm asking for advice on what I can do to secure its life.
That said, I'm not inclined to spend much money to do this.
It really grew by leaps and bounds this summer, so lifting it up again,
as two of us did in the spring, will not be possible. Unless three or
for people or machines are brought in ($$$).

TIA Ric

A pick axe isn't so expensive. Spend a weekend busting up the subsoil, and
give the tree a proper planting hole.