Old 28-09-2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default OT OT Very OT!

, I, Marvo, say :

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 28/9/06 14:14, in article
, "Dave P"
wrote:

Sounds familiar. Something to do with translating documents?

Foreign (non Greek) documents can be translated at the Greek
Consulates around the world. They can also be translated by
authorized translators, but
in this case the translations may require the Apostile stamp (if the
documents originate from the USA, Australia, the UK and some other
countries, but it is not required if they originate from Canada).
Official translations can also be made in Athens, at the Greek
Ministry of Foreign Affaires, as well as by Greek lawyers.

Thank you, Dave. I have the document, translated into English by the
Cretan lawyer and now signed etc. by me and my UK lawyer. What seems
to be needed now is this Apostile to make it bona fide under Greek
law. I think! My problem is where to go and how to get one,
whatever it is. I don't think there are a lot of Greek lawyers thick
on the ground in Devon! I imagine this Apostile is for my protection
because I'm giving a Power of Attorney but it's a new one to me!

Davide said this :

Its been ages since I did law but I think Marvo may be on the right lines.

Blimey, that'll be a first.

Its a stamp that go on documents and in effect make them recognised
internationally. So a UK marriage certificate can be be taken say, to the
Polish Consulate in London, examined and given the apostile stamp so the
marriage certificate is recognised in Poland.

Before you rush, I am /sure/ that it is NOT a stamp, I'm sure that the
apostile is the attachment of the actual document. But not /that/ sure,
because I'm not a legal beagle. You could post this to that uk.legal
gubbins?

HTH

More info
http://global-inter.net/apostile.htm