Old 29-09-2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Agapanthus - Advice Needed O' Wise Ones!

Amberlabamba wrote:
Hello! I am new to the forum. I know a but about plants but am learning
lots more all the time.

Can someone advise please? I have 2 beautiful Agapantha Plants whose
flowers have just turned to seed heads. Most are still green.

I would like to try and grow some more plants from seeds, (I understand
that it will take at least 3 years for the plants to flower).

My question is - can I use the green seeds or do I need to wait until
they have dried on the plant?

Alternatively, can I remove them now and dry them off the plant?

Your help is appreciated.

What you see on the stalk is a cluster of seed pods. The seeds are
inside.

Wait until the first pod starts to split open. Then remove the entire
stalk, cutting near the base. Remove each pod and let them slightly dry
in the shade. Then you can open the pods and remove the seeds. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_start_seeds.html for starting the
seeds.

Note, however, that the plant itself will send out side shoots and
spread. While this is slow, it will be faster than getting flowering
plants from seed.

By the way, the name of the plant is Agapanthus (singular or plural),
not Agapantha. Sepcifically, it's A. orientalis. The common name is
"lily of the Nile".

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean