Old 28-09-2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö[_3_] Köi-Lö[_3_] is offline

Default Winter fiter running

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Lowest air temp here is around -4Deg.C. Garden is sheltered, and the pond
will be covered in bubble wrap. My late father had a a pond with fish for
many years, and never lost any to the cold.

We don't lose them either here in zone 6 (USA) and we have some real cold
snaps. My deepest pond is just over 3' deep. Putting the pump on the bottom
may not be a good idea as the water has to stratify as it does in natural
ponds. Keeping a small pump running near the surface keeps a hole open in
any ice that forms. Our coldest temps can reach 0 F here.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.