Old 29-09-2006, 02:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
GreenieLeBrun GreenieLeBrun is offline

Default the pampas grass of doom

In article , "0tterbot" wrote:
(ugh!!!)

i was wondering if anyone has a good method to kill a big stand of pampas
grass? everyone was saying to us "burn it", however, we left that far too
late in the season & now we'd not only have trouble controlling the fire,
we'd probably get ourselves arrested even if it was controlled g.

at the moment it's been hacked right down to a lump, but the rotten thing is
sprouting again. what to do? is it possible for, say, one's husband to dig
it out? g
(farm1 - this might need more than good old boiling water! ;-)

thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.
kylie

Liberal applications of glyophosphate (Roundup, Zero etc.) or any other grass
killing herbicide such as paraquat or diquat (caution these are more toxic
than glyophosphate). You will probably need numerous applications. Talk to
your local nusery of the Department of Agriculture people in your state.

You can try digging it out in manageable pieces and sending it to the tip but
even then, because of its root system, you will probably still need to use a
herbicide because it is unlikely that you will manage to get out all the
pieces of its root system.