Old 28-09-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Weather forecast It could be cold/hot/wet/dry

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

On 28/9/06 14:28, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

this is the most accurate weather forecast I have heard from the Met
Office: It may rain at times in places.

Weather forecasters, like doctors and solicitors, are a waste of
space IMHO.

They can be as wrong as they like and get away with it. Someone
suffers in any event.

In my 'umble job, if I am wrong I will not be in my job any more,
and that is right and fair.

If I am not sure, I do nothing apart from to say I'm not sure and
find out more until I am sure then do the job.

I bet someone will argue, because they do :-)

I fancy an argument today, but not a serious one, I'm too tired.

To be fair, forecasting is a matter of interpretation as well as
scientific information, so it moves more into the 'art of', IMO. We
consistently read of how the west country is shrouded with rain and
fog as we look out at a blazing hot day and it makes us as mad as
anyone else, I assure you. It reminds me of the story of an earlier
Lord Home who looked at the barometer stuck firmly on 'Fair' and
opened the window, chucking it out into the hurtling rain saying "See
for yourself you bloody thing"!
I do hope nobody is thinking that matters have deteriorated since the
Met office moved to Exeter!
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
I happen to know we have a past weather forecaster who posts here
sometimes so let's be nice..... ;-)

I have a fir cone ... it's more right than wrong.

And I have a broken barometer which is stuck on "Change". It is deadly
accurate many times each year.