Old 22-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Regina

Default Unruly Red Ribbons

Mike wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Cass wrote:
Mike wrote:

I received two Red Ribbons from my Dad last year and they are really
annoying. They keep throwing out these singular 5 feet long limbs from a
plant that otherwise remains about 4 inches tall.

ummm, I have two Red Ribbons in Reno. This 4 inch tall stuff is a
temporary condition.

I kept trying to prune
those off last year. They would just throw out another disproportionately
long limb from right below my cut. Really messed up their shape last year.
This spring, they started out right away with this annoying growth habit.

It's a hint of things to come.

Should I move them to a place where I can try training those monster limbs
to climb, or should I just whack them in the head with the shovel? Anyone
else experience this problem with this particular rose?

If you want a groundcover rose, fergeddit.

It sounds like you're fighting what the rose wants to be, at least from
the HelpMeFind description: 2' x 5' to 7'

Try four to five feet tall at maturity, arching, spreading, always in
bloom, and a very thorny little turkey when you try to get underneath to
thin in out.

Sounds perfect to climb a
2' fence. Probably falls off a wall pretty well.

Yes, but needs lot of room, and doesn't drape much. It holds itself up
in the middle.

Hi Cass,

Hmm... I was told "groundcover."

That is SUCH a joke!

So I heave Botanica's suitcase down from
the shelf and look it up. Botanica's says groundcover as well, but in the
description states "..good subject for pillars and as a standard." But why
do I only get one cane that wants to grow like that when the rest of the
canes remain so diminuitive?

Just give it time.

My other climbers don't restrict their length
to a single cane. That's what's so frustrating. I can't imagine training
one cane round and round a pillar while the rest of the shrub sits at the
base and pouts. I picture that in my head and it ain't pretty. g

Nor will your arms be if you attempt that feat.

Regina