Old 28-09-2006, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Support for a tayberry

Sueba wrote:
A new allotmenter, I have planted a tayberry on my plot. The support
is pretty flimsy at present (plant was planted just last autumn), but
the tayberry clearly has plans for world domination. Was considering
putting in sturdier fence-support-type posts, in metposts, but have
read that metposts are not much cop. Anyone got any suggestions?

Sue

Don't use metposts, apart from costing £20 each, they are garbage unless you
have heavy clay soil.
Why not just get 3X2 timbers from B&Q (it's called scant) and a few litres
of wood preservative? - give them a coat a day for a week and then knock
them in the ground with a large hammer, they'll easily last 10 years before
rotting.
You can use any offcuts of timber as cross posts for extra strength, be sure
to give the end grain a serious drenching of preservative.