Old 22-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Pam

Default Entering the Horticulture Field. :)

Working in the industry is a great way to get experience and develop horticultural
knowledge, but you are unlikely to make much of an income or achieve any
significant position without a degree (even two year one). The pay is low and the
work is often hard and pretty much drudgery unless you work in a retail environment
with a lot of customer activity. Many places hire on at least seasonal employees at
this time of year, so you may land an entry level position withou too much
difficulty. Here is a link to Charlotte area nurseries:
http://www.ncagr.com/plantind/plant/...ecklenburg.htm

pam - gardengal

Joel Jac0b wrote:

I recently sent this note to the NCAN (North Carolina Association of
Nuryserymen) they didn't really supply me with advice or information, so I
figured I would post the note here in the hope of getting some. Thanks for
your time!

Hello, I've had an interest in Horticulture since I was very small. I'm now
22-years-old and would like to find a job in relation to this field. I don't
hold a degree, and in all honesty don't know much about Horticulture, but I
have a strong desire to learn. I recently contacted a Director of Horticulture
at a college in Ohio in order to gain some knowledge as to how to obtain a job
in this field. My main question to him concerned whether or not it would be
possible to secure a job in relation to Horticulture without holding a degree.
He suggested that I contact nurseries in my state that grow plants/trees, and
to inquire about job positions available. I'm writing you in the hope that
you'll be able to make me aware of such nurseries in the state of North
Carolina. I currently live in Charlotte, but I'm willing to commute if it would
bring me closer to the goal at hand. Do you think a grower in the area would be
willing to train someone? I would like to thank you in advance for taking the
time to read this note. I appreciate it very much! Sincerely, Joel Howery