Old 29-09-2006, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] katiejanospam@gmail.com is offline

Default Pruning - soft fruits and figs

Thanks for the extensive reply!

cliff_the_gardener wrote:
Katie,
What a cosmopolitan fig you have. Figs are hardy down to -15°C so I
don't think that is your problem. The south facing wall will help
retain heat. Is it growing in a pot or has it been dug up each time?
Also how are you training it - as a tree, a T or as a fan?

It's been in a pot since leaving its native home in Devon, so it hasn't
been dug up. I didn't really think about training it - it's only about
4 foot high now (was about 2 foot at the start of the summer) - but I
suppose I'll need to train it onto the wall eventually...

As for pruning the soft fruit.
Autumn raspberries are pruned after fruiting.

I understand this part about the raspberries and the gooseberries...

Pruning the blackcurrants. Ideally you are looking for a stool bush -

I think I'll need to look at the blackcurrant to see...

Pruning the gooseberries is dependant on how the plant is trained -
bush or cordon.

It's a small bush... again I think I'll need to have a look at it to
make more sense of it. It sounds like I should have pruned it already
though...

thanks

Katie