Old 22-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Derryl Killan

Default Entering the Horticulture Field. :)

Hi Joel - you should also consider working for Landscapers, Golf courses and
Nurseries. Get some experience to see if you like Horticulture. Plus, most
educational institutes require prior experience. It was that way when I
took my Horticulture 30 years ago. Horticulture is a lifetime of plants

Wishing you good luck

Derryl (Journeyman Landscape Gardener - Alberta

I recently sent this note to the NCAN (North Carolina Association of
Nuryserymen) they didn't really supply me with advice or information, so I
figured I would post the note here in the hope of getting some. Thanks

for
your time!

Hello, I've had an interest in Horticulture since I was very small. I'm

now
22-years-old and would like to find a job in relation to this field. I

don't
hold a degree, and in all honesty don't know much about Horticulture, but

have a strong desire to learn. I recently contacted a Director of

Horticulture
at a college in Ohio in order to gain some knowledge as to how to obtain a

job
in this field. My main question to him concerned whether or not it would

be
possible to secure a job in relation to Horticulture without holding a

degree.
He suggested that I contact nurseries in my state that grow plants/trees,

and
to inquire about job positions available. I'm writing you in the hope that
you'll be able to make me aware of such nurseries in the state of North
Carolina. I currently live in Charlotte, but I'm willing to commute if it

would
bring me closer to the goal at hand. Do you think a grower in the area

would be
willing to train someone? I would like to thank you in advance for taking

the
time to read this note. I appreciate it very much! Sincerely, Joel Howery