Old 30-09-2006, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
AndyS AndyS is offline

Default Lawnmover problem

Bienvenue wrote:
Why it started and stopped after a few minutes?

I replaced a lot of things and it still not functioning, new blade, new
spark plug, new air filter, new oil, new gasoline.

This is a Sear's Craftman Self-propelled machine, bout 3-4 years ago. It
was running really well, just dies this week. Lots of smoke coming out,
something is wrong with it. Before I didn't see this much smokes like oil
is not being burn completely.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Andy writes:
My guess is a broken piston ring.... If you do a compression check
it should be at least 60 psi. If it is not, squirt some oil into the
cylinder
and pull it thru a couple times to distribute it... Then do another
compression
test.... If it improves a lot, it is rings. If it doesn't it is
valves.....

Of course, it may not be this at all ---- just something easy to
try..

Andy in Eureka