Old 30-09-2006, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ken Weitzel Ken Weitzel is offline

Default Lawnmover problem

Bienvenue wrote:
"Art" wrote in message
Bienvenue wrote:
Why it started and stopped after a few minutes?

I replaced a lot of things and it still not functioning, new blade, new
spark plug, new air filter, new oil, new gasoline.

This is a Sear's Craftman Self-propelled machine, bout 3-4 years ago. It
was running really well, just dies this week. Lots of smoke coming out,
something is wrong with it. Before I didn't see this much smokes like
oil is not being burn completely.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Did you replace those things before or after it stopped?
When you replaced the blade did you tip it over or on it's side? You
should always tip the machine so the spark plug is up.
Will it run at all now?

--
Art

Thanks folks for your reply.

My machine never complained about being tipped over. My lawn is not quite
leveled, it never complained for 4 years.

4 months ago, I replaced a lot of things, things was working so well. Last
two weeks after using it, I released the handle to stop the engine, I saw a
lot of white smoke came off, I thought nothing big to be concerned about.
Two weeks later, I tried using it and it never continues to run, it starts
and runs only a few seconds, with lots of white smoke then it stopped by
itself.

It does look like there is oil in the combustion chamber, because when I
removed the spark plug to check what's going on, I saw oil filled the tip of
the spark plug.

Why the flood of motor oil happened now and not 3-4 months ago ?

It beats me concerning the timing of this incident. It makes no sense.

Hi...

I can't help but wonder about the "white" smoke... oil doesn't
burn white!

Is it worthwhile thinking that perhaps you've somehow got a
bunch of water in your gas? Perhaps from the machine (or your
container) left open out in the rain? Or sprinkler?

Perhaps the machine sits for a few days; the water separates,
the machine starts easily. Then running, it shakes and mixes
the water and gas, which burns (steams) for a while until it
eventually shuts the machine down?

For what little it costs, why not empty the machine, put in a
fresh tank of brand new gas, add a wee bit of methyl hydrate,
and see what happens?

Just a thought...

Take care.

Ken