Old 29-09-2006, 10:05 PM posted to aus.gardens
Rob & Shel Rob & Shel is offline

Default vegetating eroded bank

Thankyou for those tips Meee & China

I'll be off to the Barung Landcare Catchment Nursery soon to collect a few
free trees given out annually to ratepayers of Caloundra Shire, & so can see
what they have to offer.

I hadn't mentioned before that my dam's catchment within my property was
very overgrown with weeds, lots of partially burned trees, bits of wood, &
even some rubbish.
From harvesting the fallen trees for firewood, & slashing weeds there would
have been alot of shavings washed down together with charcoal etc, so it's
no surprise the water was so dirty from the recent deluge.
Anyways, I suspect the horse that was here would have been much more
"impacting" (damaging?) to the water than anything.
I've seen yabbies & long necked turtles already, & I will stock the dam with
native fish which, together with my resident ducks & my future plantings
should make it a busy & healthy ecosystem, I hope.

All the best,
Rob

"China" wrote in message
news
G'day,
I've seen councils using bales of hay held in place with
pickets
to slow and filter water in floodways.Seems to last for a while. If you
have
a lot of bare and eroded ground you try sowing some lucern or wheat seed
for
a quick cover.You will loose a lot to the birds at first but just resow
over
a period of weeks and you will get a good cover. In the long run you will
need things like Lomandra reed to establish. It's tough as nails and
handles
extremes of weather and both wet and dry conditions. Councils are using it
in roundabouts and such, where it seems to survive anything. If you look
in
local creek beds it's starting to flower and will soon have heaps of seed
soon, which looks a bit like small rice grains in a orange to red fruit.
Otherwise any local native nursery should have tube stock available at
about
$2 each.

China
Wingham