Old 30-09-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Best Size Arborvitae to Plant

On 30 Sep 2006 07:48:31 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

The snow will be a problem. Here it doesn't snow that much and
Arborvitae get ruined if not tied up.

Spring is a better time to plant.

Hi Travis and "Joe",

I am just preparing to plant and I need to order them now for spring
planting. I need about 80 or so and the company advised me to place my
order now to get them for spring. Given spring planting here where I
get a heavy snow a few times a year (Rochester, Minnesota Zone 4) what
would be best? Two or three year-old plants?

Thanks much, all!

Mike

Is this going to be a hedge? It seems you are determined. So, in
that case the cheapest size they sell is better than a larger plant.
They will establish faster and probably be as large or larger had you
originally planted the larger more expensive trees.