Old 30-09-2006, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny Jonny is offline

Default Replacing an old lawn with turf

"GardenCadet" wrote in message

I am in the process of replacing my tired old front lawn. I plan to use
turf rather than seed. The soil is poor underneath, the site sloping
and south facing (so gets very hot and dry especialy in summer).

I have dug the ground, raked and firmed it down. I now need to get it
nice and level across the slope (cant flaten the slope completely) I
need some tips as to how best to get the ground level ready for
turfing, please.

I also need a few recomendations as to turf suppliers. i intend to
order onlne and get it delivered. I am also on a budget, but require a
good drought resistant turf. Any ideas I have done a search and know
some names but any recomendations from you would be helpfull. Thanks.

--
GardenCadet

Can't see your incline/slope from here. If sufficiently inclined/sloped, I
would consider a retaining wall. Then backfill with new soil as you said
your current soil is poor. Do this in a manner that would reduce the
incline/slope, but still maintain some natural drainage.

The type of grass depends on your locale, availability of irrigation water
to substantially irrigate, and natural rainfall. You can probably find that
out locally.
--
Jonny