Old 30-09-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Best Size Arborvitae to Plant

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is this going to be a hedge? It seems you are determined. So, in
that case the cheapest size they sell is better than a larger plant.
They will establish faster and probably be as large or larger had you
originally planted the larger more expensive trees.

Hi,

Yes, this will be a hedge. I will get the smaller plants, then. They
are indeed cheaper and I had heard elsewhere that younger plants will
likely establish more quickly... Thanks a ton.

Mike

You might want to pick up a book on pruning. Arborvitae don't need much, but
I seem to recall reading years ago that there are some tricks by which you
can get them to stay bushy near the ground so the hedge is as opaque as
possible.