Old 01-10-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gary Gary is offline

Default Hot Peppers

John wrote:
I have a lot of hot peppers (habenero, Thai and Cayenne) that are still
green. We should be getting a frost very soon..in the next few days. Can I
just pick all of them and use them green or is there a way to get them to
ripen up after being picked? Either way they will probably make a good
sauce.
Thanks,
John

Many peppers will ripen on their own after being picked. I string my
excess peppers on ristras and dry them. After they are dry, you can
just pick what you need from the ristra to throw in soups, sauces, or
whatever. I had a pile of Jalapenos that I treated that way. Most were
green when I strung them up but after a couple of weeks they have
turned red and are getting dry. The ristras also make great fall decor
just hanging up.
Gary