Old 22-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Warren

Default squirls

keith nuttle wrote:

The only squirrel proof bird feeder I ever had, I created by accident.

hung the feeder on a branch on a tree, using two straighten coat
hangers. When the squirrel tried to come from above the joint between
the hangers would throw him off. When they tried to jump they would

get
thrown off by the swing of the bird feeder. After about three years

couple got the technique down, but only a couple learned to control

the
jump so as not to swing the feeder.

My problem with the squirrels isn't that they're getting fed. And
they're coming at times that the birds aren't around. They co-exist
nicely, as a matter of fact.

My problem is the squirrels are sloppy eaters, throwing a half dozen
seeds to the ground for every one they eat. And things are worse when I
hang the feeder in such a way that it swings when they try to get to it!

I'm conflicted about whether I should raise the feeders so I don't keep
bumping my head when I mow under them, but doing so would make refilling
them harder.

I'd feed the squirrels to discourage them from wanting to get at the
bird feed, except that feeding them on the ground would attract other
less desired wildlife. I don't need skunks and raccoons at all!

I finally decided to take the feeders down when I mow under them, and I
just accept that the patch under where they hang is building up a mulch
of bird seed.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.