Old 30-09-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Beverly Beverly is offline

Default New Newsletter Editor

Thanks Diana,

We do our web version of the newsletter in color, but the mailed version
is in B&W. We have been trying to ween as many members as possible off
the paper mailed version and use the on-line version (color on-line is
the incentive.)

We are fortunate to have Charles Baker of orchidculture.com as a member
of our society and he provides a monthly culture sheet. So that takes
care of the culture info.

The website link is wonderful. I'm sure I'll find some good ideas there.

I'm just beginning to panic since this is the first month I'm
responsible for the newsletter and of the 6-7 people that are supposed
to submit things to me for publication, only 2 have provided anything
and that is after reminder e-mails and phone calls. I've got to get it
to the printer by Tuesday and I'm apprehensive about beginning to write
too much myself, or I'm sure I'll end up doing it every month and I'm
really not up for that.

Thanks again.
Beverly

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Hi, Beverly,

First of all, go he

http://www.orchidweb.org/aos/Message...cs.aspx?fid=13

Lots of Editors (including, as of this month, me) post their newsletters on
that site, so you can get ideas. Basically, though, culture info, upcoming
events, special things like a call to members to participate in something, a
message from the President, etc. It helps to have a culture chairperson who
will write a monthly article. Until this season, we had one. Right now, that
is lacking, and I refuse to write one on the grounds that if I do it once it
will be forever, LOL.

I don't know if yours is in color, but if you can do it that way then you
can add photos, which really spruce it up. Ask people to forward pictures
they have taken at Society events, etc, and pix of orchids, naturally. If
it's not in color, it might be worth while to check with your printer and
find out how much it would cost. When I took this over, it was b&w. I made a
copy in color, included lots of pictures, took it to a Board meeting and
just laid it on the conference table. That did it. No more b&w. Sneaky, but
effective!

I think you'll find more people here who can guide you. Lots of Eds here.
HTH

Diana