Old 01-10-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt[_1_] Eric Hunt[_1_] is offline

Default New Newsletter Editor

Beverly,

Putting out a newsletter once or twice that's only 2 pages long with no real
content usually teaches people to get their stuff to you on time. You're
absolutely right to be firm and not be the content creator on top of the
editor.

That being said, try to enlist someone to take shots of as many show and
tell plants as possible each month - it's an easy way to fill space in the
newsletter and it's always fun for folks to see their plants "in print" the
next month.

Putting the full or summarized minutes of the last OS Board Meeting is nice.
It reminds people that there is a lot of work taking place behind the
scenes. Some OS bylaws require the minutes to be published for the
membership.

If you have an AOS judging region nearby, try getting digital photos of
recently awarded plants and list the awards along with the photos.

My favorite newsletter is Atlanta - and the editor himself is a regular
here, Danny Lentz. I bet he'll send you a sample copy to get ideas.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"Beverly" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Diana,

We do our web version of the newsletter in color, but the mailed version
is in B&W. We have been trying to ween as many members as possible off the
paper mailed version and use the on-line version (color on-line is the
incentive.)