Old 01-10-2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny danny is offline

Default New Newsletter Editor

You need to figure out which people are reliable, and focus on getting stuff
from them. Having to hassle someone about a small column every month isn't
worth the stress, it may be easier to find a replacement or do it yourself.
If people consistently can't meet a deadline then just drop that item from
the newsletter (unless it's something like meeting minutes that are required
by your bylaws). Pictures do help fill a lot of space, especially of local
plants. Do you put a picture of the species along with Charles Baker's
culture sheets? That is a great resource to have.

You can see my newsletters at
http://www.atlantaorchidsociety.org/newsletters.html. They tend to be
fairly long just from the columns that go into it every month, but I've been
really slack this year about finding/writing articles. I did much better in
that department early on. After nearly three years my focus on the job has
slipped a little bit lately.

-danny

"Beverly" wrote in message
. ..

I'm just beginning to panic since this is the first month I'm responsible
for the newsletter and of the 6-7 people that are supposed to submit
things to me for publication, only 2 have provided anything and that is
after reminder e-mails and phone calls. I've got to get it to the printer
by Tuesday and I'm apprehensive about beginning to write too much myself,
or I'm sure I'll end up doing it every month and I'm really not up for
that.

Thanks again.
Beverly