Old 30-09-2006, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews[_1_] Gill Matthews[_1_] is offline

Default Why plant veg in rows?

"Tim W" wrote in message
Being a total novice doesn't stop me from wanting to question all the
established wisdom of gardening. Every book, manual and seed packet has
the
instruction to plant in rows. What is the point of that? It sounds like
agricultural practice to me and I can't see why it should apply to my
little
8' x 4' beds. Couldn't I plant a sort of patch of carrots and a patch of
lettuces and use the small space more efficiently and not have strips to
weed between the rows?

Tim W

depends what you are growing, things like onions which do not tolerate weeds
grow in rows so that you can hoe rather than hand weeding things like
carrots which may actually improve from a few weeds I tend to scatter rather
than row. (I grow them in smallish raised beds)

Gill M