Old 01-10-2006, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Veg to come

"Andy" wrote ...
Well, not all veg strictly speaking but I am still getting ( ridge )
cucumbers, have 20+ tomatoes still to ripen, my runner beans which gave up
in late summer have decided to try again for a few more beans, and my
greenhouse sweet peppers are turning red one by one.

I also have left a couple of radicchio heartening up, and my Conference
pears (?slim ones ) still aren't quite ripe. Parsnips need to wait for the
frost, and my Savoy winter cabbages are passable for juveniles though full
of slug holes.

Tomatoes all surcumbed to blight two weeks ago (including Ferline!!), Sarpo
Axona spuds are still growing strongly and flowering with no sign of blight,
"Chertsey" carrots are doing as well as usual (own seed), second flush of
runner beans coming to an end, pumpkins beginning to look sad but "Turks
Turbans" are growing apace, Sprouts doing well (taste nice too) as are the
winter caulis, savoys and "Winter Tundra" cabbages except I noticed some
caterpillar holes, sweet potatoes are all over the place they have grown so
well this year (now I can see the family trait!), mixed lettuce nearly ready
to start using, Romain lettuce is growing well, perhaps time to put in some
more before winter.

On a mysterious note I had some brassica type things come up of their own
accord this summer but I don't know what they are. They have typical
collard greens type leaves, but there is a single thick purple stem maybe
six inches high and a further thickening at ground level, though not
enough to be a swede. Above the purple stem comes a short bit of greener
tissue which throws out a dozen or more stems in all directions, some are
are up to 18" long.

That sounds exactly like one of the Indian Saag (or Sag) plants we grew a
few years ago, grown from a cutting given to me by a neighbour. Grew a bit
like a cabbage bush.
Not as nice as the Saag we grew this year from seed brought back by a friend
from the Punjab, although it grew too quickly in the heat and went straight
to flower, also seemed a Flea Beetle attractant. :-(

--
Regards
Bob H