Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran[_1_] Gail Futoran[_1_] is offline

Default Pig frog or bullfrog

"Hal" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:56:22 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

My husband, who usually leaves for work before dawn, reported seeing a
large
green frog in the driveway several days ago. Coming home late last night
from an evening with friends, I saw the culprit myself, on the driveway in
the lit area. He's solid dull green, about 6-7" long, and looks like a
photo of a pig frog I found in several of my books.

Never heard of one before, but surely you could tell if it called.
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/d...?recnum=AR0029

Regards,

Hal

I have a fairly noisy rural back yard. I don't usually pay attention to
natural sounds. They're just there, and I enjoy them. I do have tree frogs
and toads, and other small green frogs (not sure what they are).

I hadn't heard of pig frogs, either, until I looked up frogs resembling the
one I spotted in two books:
1) National Audubon Society Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians, Alfred
A. Knopf, New York, 22nd printing 2005. Plate on p. 188, description on .
374.
2) Texas Monthly Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of Texas, Gulf
Publishing Co., Houston TX, 1987. Plate 14, description p. 46.

Apparently pig frogs are different from bullfrogs, and are often mistaken
for bullfrogs. To me, they're just big green/ish frogs.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA