Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Overseeding before snowing

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 09:51:06 -0600, "John61"
wrote:

Hi,

My backyard lawn needs overseeding. I wonder if it's a good idea to do it
right before winter. We have a few month snow covering in Midwest Canada

My thought is to overseed right before snowing, and they will germinate
early next spring after snow melting. Or the seeds will die in winter?

Thanks,

John

I thougtht the same thing, but further south here in Pennsylvania. In
hind sight I've seen this, I seed early, snow on the ground, we get a
few days warm weather, seeds sprout, then a blizzard hits, sprouts
die.

I now generally seed in the fall, and several weeks before I use
crabgrass preventor.

just my observations,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com