Old 02-10-2006, 03:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_1_] Jonno[_1_] is offline

Default Tomato tip

meeee wrote:
Thanks for this tip!! I'll remember that!

"PatC" wrote in message

Try it:
I always had lovely sweet home grown Toms until 2 - 3 years ago when they
all got some type of disease & died just before the toms started to ripen,
the whole plants went brown & withered. Nobody could explain what this
disease was
I tried a number of suggestions & remedies all to no avail, & had almost
given up, but being the eternal optimist I didn't give up, & guess what, I
now have 3 plants with lots of fruit & no sign of disease( I have a very
small yard).
The answer for me was to insert a piece of copper wire right through the
stem not too far from the soil.
Hope this helps someone like me who is also desperate to have REAL toms.
Let
me know if it works for you too.
Good luck & best wishes
Pat

Any zinc covered wire could also do the trick.
The idea is that the metals dissolve partly and create a sap based anti
fungicide which is always present, better than bordoaux (sic) spray
which does the same externally I would presume...
Try both and see. I havent yet....