Old 02-10-2006, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan Carl 1 Lucky Texan is offline

Default Can termites live in a vacuum?

Rick F. wrote:
I got some tree trimmings from a couple not too far from us and I
am planning on using it for smoking (meats).. It's from a nice large
(and dead) nectarine tree, but upon cutting it down it was found that
there were termites consuming it to some degree about midway up the 20' tree..
I suspect they've been there a while.. Anyway, they don't really pose
much of an issue for what I'm using them for, but I would like to ensure
that the little buggers can't get out and start eating my (or a neighbors)
house.. If I had an average sized vacuum pump which could be used to pull
a vacuum on a trash bag with some of the infested branches in them, would
that be sufficient to kill the termites (similar to taking them to the
moon?) after a while (several days or weeks) in that environment?..

Anyway, just thought I'd check as I'm sure nobody has done that
sort of experiment

Hmmm....that could work, as could laying the bag in direct sunlight to
get the internal temp up. Or a few repeated applications of small chunks
of dry ice. (oxygen displacement from the sublimating CO2)

good Q-ing!

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

--