Old 02-10-2006, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] beeky@bellatlantic.net is offline

Default Magnolia question

It's hard to know if this was a serious question but here goes. The photograph
shows the fruit of a Magnolia. In botanical terminology the fruit is an
aggrregate of follicles. Each follicle may contain a seed but often only a few
have seeds. In your photo there appear to be two seeds at the outermost end of
the fruit.

Karl L. Wuensch wrote:

Only Siggy Freud would dare respond to your query. :-)
"BeeCee" wrote in message
news:-q6dnTkBZK_9cIbYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@wtccommunications. ca...
What is this suggestive looking growth on my magnolia tree?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18364027@N00/254919215/

The tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.

It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this
structure.

BeeCee