Old 02-10-2006, 09:59 PM posted to aus.gardens
meeee meeee is offline

Default Tomato tip

"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message

meeee wrote:

Thanks for this tip!! I'll remember that!

"PatC" wrote in message

Try it:
I always had lovely sweet home grown Toms until 2 - 3 years ago when
they
all got some type of disease & died just before the toms started to
ripen,
the whole plants went brown & withered. Nobody could explain what this
disease was
I tried a number of suggestions & remedies all to no avail, & had
almost
given up, but being the eternal optimist I didn't give up, & guess
what, I
now have 3 plants with lots of fruit & no sign of disease( I have a
very
small yard).
The answer for me was to insert a piece of copper wire right through
the
stem not too far from the soil.
Hope this helps someone like me who is also desperate to have REAL
toms. Let
me know if it works for you too.
Good luck & best wishes
Pat

Any zinc covered wire could also do the trick.
The idea is that the metals dissolve partly and create a sap based anti
fungicide which is always present, better than bordoaux (sic) spray which
does the same externally I would presume...
Try both and see. I havent yet....

Thanks!! I know my dad swears by drinking suspension of silver or
something like that for the same reason. It makes a lot of sense. I will
give it a go!!

By the way, I would be careful of using both the zinc and copper wires
together, as you may end up with a sap powered battery. The plant may or
may not like that and throw in the towel. But if you like to experiment,
you/we may have found a new way of getting "solar" power.. Or could that
be tomato plant power. It may be that the tomato could be powered and grow
like crazy if you apply a battery. I leave it to you how you decide to
torture your plants.....
The mind boggles.... Big grin!!! Gee I'm evil....

Lol....
Giant Carniverous Tomato Plant Devours Whole Family And Dog In North
Queensland......