Old 02-10-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Veg to come

K wrote:
"Cat(h)" writes

I'm jealous. Not paying attention meant all my lettuces - of which I
am a greedy consumer - went direct to seed over the hot dry summer. I
round myself re-seeding some more only around mid August, and that is
still not ready to consumer :-(

Would cut-and-come-again types be better for late sowing?

I have some that can be cut and will come back. But I sowed whatever I
had - including rocket which seems to grow any time for me, and spinach
- lovely as a salad when young.

The toms are still in production, modest enough crop - they are
outdoors in growbags - but quite tasty after a disappointing start.
Some tend to burst if not consumed within days after picking. It's a
bit odd.

Mine do that if I wash them

I really think it is water related, because it has been extremely wet
here in the last few weeks.

I got the most amazing crop of berries from 2 gooseberry bushes (about
6 kgs of berries, which I froze, and made jam out of 2 kgs this
weekend), about 2 kgs from a single blackcurrant bush - also delicious
jam made from frozen berries last week end. Not to mention the
mountains of my favourite of all times jam, blackberry, made out of the
3 kgs picked from nearby hedgerows last week end between showers. Yum
yum.

Masses and masses of mulberries - it will be interesting seeing how many
of the normal berry recipes work well with the much stronger tasting
mulberries.

Never tasted those.
This week end, I came across some of my second absolute favourite jam:
cloudberry. It's a kind of rubus that grows in sub-arctic bogs.
Delicacy in Sweden and Finland, where I first discovered it. Unless
there is an Ikea store about - and there is none yet in Ireland - it is
extremely difficult to come by the jam :-)

Cat(h)