Old 02-10-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Advice sought on pruning very large spreading conifers ??

wrote:
I have a number of low spreading very large conifers. They seem to be
to big for the location. How and when can I cut them back, as it seems
as thou there will be just wood with no shoots afterwoods.

Or is it a case of dig out.

You're right: if you cut back into brown wood, they won't grow back.
And if you prune them more sparingly, leaving green growth to keep them
alive, you won't really get the shape back. Other things being equal,
I'd have 'em out: your "seem to be too big for the location" says it
all. There are more interesting trees to grow which won't take over
your light and space. Of course, if they were planted originally as a
screen, as the more ordinary conifers like Lawson and Leyland usually
are, you'd have to weigh up the swings and roundabouts balance.

It'd be worth taking a gentle spin around the neighbourhood to find
other trees of the same kind (you can take a spray of foliage with you
if you aren't confident about identification) to see how they've been
treated, and with what effect. You'll probably find some horrible
object-lessons!

--
Mike.