Old 02-10-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Pampuss Grass

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 20:34:14 +0100, "Vincent Burgum"
wrote:

Hello. I hope someone can help. I have a Pampuss grass in my garden and its
about 8 ft tall. I have been told, and I don't know if its good information
or not, that I should burn it down in order to make it grow better next
year. Well its unfortunately next to a wooden fence. Is there anything else
I should do to it?
Many thanks in advance

Vince

IMO this burning thing for pampas grass is a myth. And anyway, what
you're left with is an unsightly blackened stump and possibly a
live-roasted hedgehog. Cut out the plumes in a few weeks when they
start to look tatty, and next spring, cut the rest of it down to about
12 - 18" with sharp shears or a good hedge trimmer and it'll come
again strongly. But do wear stout gloves and cover your arms: the
'leaves' are sharp-edged and can cut bare skin.

--
Chris