Old 02-10-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Sweet Potatoes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Cat(h)" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Ours have grown so well this year and have spread all over the place so
we
are hoping for a decent crop unlike the one previous time we tried them
(provided the slugs haven't feasted).
So when do we harvest?
Do we wait for the first frost to kill off the foliage or just dig them
up
ASAP?
How do we store them over winter?
and provided it's worth repeating the exercise.....
Is it possible to save some plants for next years planting?

I thought sweet potatoes were a tropical veg? Could you tell me more
on how you grew them?

We got the "Slips" (rooted cuttings) sent from T & M and planted them as
per their instructions, nothing special, lots of water and seaweed extract
to start with to get then off to a good start and then left to their own
devices thereafter other than water when dry. Two plants died when first
planted, weedy cuttings!
Last time we planted them in humps like normal potatoes but they didn't
grow anything like this years which are running everywhere including the
next door neighbours plot, and he thought we had planted giant convolvulus
to take over the world. :-) I must admit it's exactly what they look
like.
The thin crop from our first planting was attacked badly by slugs, I do
hope this years crop isn't.

We grew them last year, and very nice they were too. There was much about
them from the americans in rec.gardens.edible, but the prime thing IIRC was
not to let the frost touch them or they're spoilt. I would have them all up
when a frost is likely.

Steve.