Old 03-10-2006, 10:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Can I start a tree from a leave, how?

On 2 Oct 2006 18:09:10 -0700, Roger Zimmerman wrote:
Hello,

I was told that I could start a tree from a leaf by cutting the stem at
an angle,putting it in soil (mostly vermiculite) and keeping it moist.

I tried about 15 leaves like this and they are all almost dead now.

You need cells that are capable of growth and division, called
"meristem cells" -- these are not present in mature leaves.

A few methods of vegetative propagation you can try with trees:
stem cuttings
stooling
air layering

Age of the wood you're using, how the wood is treated, and season all
make a big difference with these techniques, as does the species.

What species are you trying to propagate? Or is this more of a
theoretical question?

Kay