Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
CptDondo CptDondo is offline

Default Can I start a tree from a leave, how?

Roger Zimmerman wrote:
Yan,

I live in Alberta, Canada, I didn't know they would give away free
seedlings for these plants, especially the Columnar Aspen, but will
check around to see if I can find where to get them.

Roger:

I can't speak for Canada, but here in the US there are state and federal
gov't agencies that will provide seedlings for restoration. It's been a
while since I've used them, and ISTR that you had to hit them at the
right time of year, but they had seedlings available. The range (both
size and species) was limited, though.

Some universities also have agricultural extensions that may be able to
help.

Lastly, don't overlook private industry; companies that do a lot of
logging like paper and lumber will also have reforestation programs and
may donate to a restoration project. It's all in how you present it.

Some sources were free and some charged a bit. Even if you had to buy
the seedlings the cost was minimal; something like $0.35 ea or something
like that....

--Yan