Old 05-10-2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] dahillpress@yahoo.com is offline

Default planning next years garden

Tater wrote:
I just bought my first house and it is on 1.4 acres. I can finally
have a garden! now I have never done my own garden before, and I dont
want to devote a lot of time to working it. what should i plant?
looking for foodstuffs rather than ornamental, low maintenance. An idea
of when to plant would be good too. maybe next year i'll put up a
greenhouse to extend the growing season. many moons ago when i dreamed
of my own garden patch there was a method called french intensive
farmin, just a fad? sounded fairly care free....

I live in medford wisconsin. just about in the exact center of the
state. pretty close to the center of the western hemisphere I guess, 90
lat 45 long (or is that 45 lat and 90 long?)

Tater,

Congrats on your new house! I grew up tying soybean sacks on the back
of an International Combine pulled by a Farmall M Tractor. Helped out
with the family garden through the years too. Many folks like the row
method of planting but I'm a big fan of Mel Bartholomew's square foot
method. It's easy to keep and the yields are gracious. Check out his
site for some good tips. Another really great site for all types of
gardening is Mike Mcgroarty's. He gives you great tips on how to
growing all sorts of stuff, making mulch, keeping the critters out of
your garden. I've learn quite a bit. Check it out at:
http://tinyurl.com/nofzv

Good luck!

EM