Old 05-10-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default planning next years garden

Tater wrote:
I just bought my first house and it is on 1.4 acres. I can finally
have a garden! now I have never done my own garden before, and I dont
want to devote a lot of time to working it. what should i plant?
looking for foodstuffs rather than ornamental, low maintenance. An idea
of when to plant would be good too. maybe next year i'll put up a
greenhouse to extend the growing season. many moons ago when i dreamed
of my own garden patch there was a method called french intensive
farmin, just a fad? sounded fairly care free....

Others have mentioned methods, all of which are good possibilities. As for
timing, I'd suggest you go to this web site:
www.powells.com

.....and buy a used copy of "Crockett's Victory Garden". I'm sure there are
others, but this is the one I have used over the years. The chapters are
arranged by month, with lists of what you should be doing that month
(starting seeds indoors, transplanting to the outdoor garden, thinning,
harvesting, etc). Nice arrangement. The author gardened near Boston, so if
you're in a different zone, you simply adjust your timing accordingly. The
only advice to NOT follow is the author's heavy use of pesticides. He went
WAY overboard.