Old 06-10-2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default deflasking Tolumnias

What a great idea Tony have you got a pictur for us.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

emntee wrote:
Sandra wrote:
I guess I will pot them in sphagnum. I didn`t have much success with
the thin roots seedlings in compost.

Hi Sandra

I would advise against sphagnum for Tolumnias. They like to dry out
after each watering. I have had some success with the following
method.

Keep them all together after de-flasking. Don't disturb the roots any
more that you really have to. Put the whole lot, still together as
they came out of the flask, into a shallow, empty container with
holes in the bottom, and water each morning. Works for me.

If you insist on using sphagnum, only use a thin layer underneath the
roots so that they dry out before days end.

A great method of potting them when they get a bit bigger, is to get
an 80mmm (3inch) round basket, and put a group of wine corks around
the inside edge. Sit a plant in the centre and water each day. Mine
grow great like that and they can be left that way for years.

Good luck anyway,

Tony