Old 04-10-2006, 04:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default I made the best brush cutter

We just let the Llamas at it. They make quick work of it and we don't have
to buy gas or pick up a wrench.

"Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi people,

Just thought I would pass this on. I have a lot of gnarly shrub-size
weeds here called Russian Thistle or more commonly known as
Tumbleweeds. Some up to 3' high with stems up to 1/2" diam. Once beyond
about 3" tall, there is NO poison to touch them. Ask me how I know
sometime. grin

The Ryobi weed whacker is therefore the only hand carried implement
that can get to where I need to get a lot of the time. It has a total
of 16" diameter sweep with the plastic string.

I tried using the .08" string it came with but after 3 refills the
weeds were grinning.

OK, I tried some .095" and later some .105" after drilling out a few
small holes for it to fit. The weeds were sort of worried.

After 2 refills and what a job that is with the .105" stuff, the weeds
had begun to chuckle.

Off to Ace for a shit load of the whirly after market gadgets. I tried
Gators, I tried an Ace type, I tried steel cables, I tried solid little
strings with lumps on the end. That night when I went to bed, I could
hear the weeds laughing.

Next day I got hold of an old 24T carbide tipped 7-1/2" circular saw
blade. I got a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate about 3-1/2" square. In the
center, I drilled and reamed it 3/8" for the spindle. Using a bolt as
an arbor, I turned it to 3" diameter to just fit neatly in the spool
cover. Next I turned down about a 0.050" thickness to make a 5/8" diam
boss for the saw blade to locate. Drilled for 2 x 1/4" x 3/4" long
button head screws and nylocs on the centerline and at 2"BCD.

After dropping it over the spindle, I finished it off with a shake
proof washer and stainless M8 nut.

Wow is all needs be said.

The trick was, I think, that I mounted the blade so it is running
backwards. I did this as I figured it would stop gouging into bigger
stuff and consequently kick the Ryobi around in my hands.

I have hit quite a few large rocks, pieces of steel and railroad ties
and it has not so much as nicked a tooth. It just gives out a slither
sound and carries on.

Well, you should see the pile of weeds I have on just one tankful of
gas. Nary a smirk or a peep from those ******* weeds now!!

Dave